A bill to promote the benefits of immunization will be heard in the House Health and Human Services Policy Committee on Friday, March 8.
Please take 1 minute to contact your House member and urge them to support this effort to increase immunization rates. Our voice needs to be louder than those contacting legislators with anti-vaccine rhetoric.
In short, HF 1182 would provide funding to the Minnesota Department of Health and community-based organizations to promote the benefits of immunization for those communities most at risk. The education efforts would be focused upon geographic areas or populations experiencing or at risk of experiencing an outbreak of a vaccine-preventable disease.
- Vaccines prevent serious illness and save lives. Yet misinformation about vaccines is all too common, leading many parents to opt out of vaccines and put children and others at risk.
- States with more permissive vaccination laws, such as Minnesota, are at increased risk for outbreaks of vaccine-preventable disease.
- Data from the Minnesota Department of Health shows that several communities and schools have high rates of non-medical exemptions. In Wadena County, for example, 13 percent of Kindergartners are entering school without required vaccinations.
- Targeted education is needed to counter myths and falsehoods about vaccination, especially in communities with high rates of non-medical exemptions.
Please take 1 minute to contact your House member and urge him or her to support HF 1182.
1. Enter your home address to find your MN House member: https://www.gis.leg.mn/iMaps/
2. Send him or her a brief email using the language above. Feel free to personalize or modify. Copy email@example.com so we can track outreach.
Another option is a quick call saying, “I’m a constituent in your district and pediatrician calling to convey my support for HF 1182, a bill to help provide education to communities with low vaccination rates.”