The 2023 Minnesota legislative session began on Tuesday, Jan. 3, with the DFL holding control in the house, senate and governor’s office for the first time in 10 years. In addition to this historic change-up, the state currently projects a more than $17 billion budget surplus.
When pediatricians, pediatric medical sub-specialists and pediatric surgical specialists join together, we can do amazing things for children and their communities. MNAAP offers many opportunities to connect, advocate and make a difference based on your schedule and interests, such as:
- Attend the annual Pediatricians’ Day at the Capitol on Tuesday, March 14, to meet with legislators about specific issues.
- Stay on top of changes to Minnesota law affecting children, families and providers along with opportunities to voice opposition or support for key bills. Be sure you’re receiving bi-weekly legislative updates during the session.
- Offer to testify or help provide background information for legislators to consider before voting on a specific bill.
- Write opinion pieces or letters that align with MNAAP legislative priorities and submit them to local media outlets, school board, and local government officials.
- Respond to action alerts – occasional emails urging members to contact their representatives by phone or email about a particular issue.