Each year, Minnesota’s pediatricians and pediatricians-in-training gather to make meaningful connections with legislators and emphasize the priority issues affecting children and teen health in our state.
In 2023, more than 170 pediatricians and pediatricians-in-training showed up for the state’s children and teens by participating in the 2023 MNAAP Pediatricians’ Day at the Capitol. If you were among those who were able to attend in person, we thank you for the dedication of your time and energy to important child health matters. Our annual day at the capitol is our chance to interact with legislators face-to-face and make our presence known as child health experts. This legislative session has seen many discussions and debates about bills that could have long-term effects on the lives of our patients, their families, and their communities.
We know from our annual member survey that the opportunity to engage in advocacy activities is one of the most valued aspects of MNAAP membership. Until we meet again for the 2024 Pediatricians’ Day at the Capitol, keep in mind these opportunities to connect, advocate and make a difference based on your schedule and interest;
- Participate in one of the chapter work groups on anti-racism and disparities, mental health, immunization, and early childhood. Most work groups meet for 45 minutes every 2-3 months by Zoom and are focused on advocacy and education.
- Join the MNAAP Board of Directors to help identify priority issues, activities and initiatives aimed at improving the health of all children in Minnesota.
- Stay on top of changes to Minnesota law affecting children, families and providers along with opportunities to voice opposition or support for key bills. Be sure you’re receiving bi-weekly legislative updates during the session.
- Offer to testify or help provide background information for legislators to consider before voting on a specific bill. You could also offer to serve as a media contact for general pediatrics or a specific area of expertise.
- Respond to action alerts – occasional emails urging members to contact their representatives by phone or email about a particular issue.
RSVP TODAY For 2024 Pediatricians’ Day at the Capitol!
Mark your calendar for Wednesday, March 13, 2024, and plan to join your fellow pediatricians and pediatricians-in-training for an afternoon of advocacy, connection, and engagement. Following a brief primer on the chapter’s legislative advocacy positions, we’ll hear from our lobbyist and key legislators about specific child health issues being debated.
Then participants will have an opportunity to meet one-on-one with their legislators.
When: Wednesday, March 13, 2024; 1 – 4 p.m.
Where: Minnesota State Capitol Building, Room G23 | 75 Rev Dr. Martin Luther King Jr Boulevard., St Paul, MN 55155
Who: You! and your fellow child health advocates
Why: Because Minnesota’s kids and teens deserve a healthy, promising future
Formal programming will take place from 1-2 p.m. and then there will be district-specific breakout sessions from 2-4 p.m.
Please click here to RSVP so the chapter can make arrangements for you to meet with your legislators.